Newport News Fire crews were involved in a haz-mat situation on Friday morning after several gallons of pool sanitizer spilled at a residence.
Crews were dispatched around 11:00 a.m. with a report of a heavy odor of chlorine. The situation was determined to be a haz-mat response once it was determined the leak was active.
The chemical leaked from a container in the pool area. It is contained and will be neutralized.
Seven people were assessed by medical personnel to ensure they are not suffering from any effects from exposure to the fumes.
They are not expected to be transported to the hospital for additional treatment.