Three ships to depart from Little Creek for Middle East
Today, three patrol ships will leave Little Creek and head to the Middle East.
The USS Tempest, USS Squall, and USS Thunderbolt will all head to the island country of Bahrain, where U.S. Fifth Fleet is located.
The Navy made the decision to permanently station the ships there instead of continuing six month rotations, allowing families to accompany their sailors to Bahrain.
The Navy says the move will alleviate the strain placed on the crews and their families, and still maintain capacity and capability.
Two additional patrol coastal ships are expected to transfer next year.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Slain officer's text messages will be evidence at murder trial
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home