Three ships to depart from Little Creek for Middle East
Today, three patrol ships will leave Little Creek and head to the Middle East.
The USS Tempest, USS Squall, and USS Thunderbolt will all head to the island country of Bahrain, where U.S. Fifth Fleet is located.
The Navy made the decision to permanently station the ships there instead of continuing six month rotations, allowing families to accompany their sailors to Bahrain.
The Navy says the move will alleviate the strain placed on the crews and their families, and still maintain capacity and capability.
Two additional patrol coastal ships are expected to transfer next year.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery