Three ships to depart from Little Creek for Middle East
Today, three patrol ships will leave Little Creek and head to the Middle East.
The USS Tempest, USS Squall, and USS Thunderbolt will all head to the island country of Bahrain, where U.S. Fifth Fleet is located.
The Navy made the decision to permanently station the ships there instead of continuing six month rotations, allowing families to accompany their sailors to Bahrain.
The Navy says the move will alleviate the strain placed on the crews and their families, and still maintain capacity and capability.
Two additional patrol coastal ships are expected to transfer next year.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations