Three ships to depart from Little Creek for Middle East
Today, three patrol ships will leave Little Creek and head to the Middle East.
The USS Tempest, USS Squall, and USS Thunderbolt will all head to the island country of Bahrain, where U.S. Fifth Fleet is located.
The Navy made the decision to permanently station the ships there instead of continuing six month rotations, allowing families to accompany their sailors to Bahrain.
The Navy says the move will alleviate the strain placed on the crews and their families, and still maintain capacity and capability.
Two additional patrol coastal ships are expected to transfer next year.
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Man accused of stealing from dying friend now a fugitive
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- Police investigating after man claiming workers' comp treated day before for sports injury
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk