Residents advised to avoid water in Elizabeth River after wastewater leak
Norfolk, Va. – Officials are warning residents to avoid water in the Elizabeth River near Lamberts Point after they say a contractor damaged the drain of a tank at the Norfolk Treatment Center and caused partially treated wastewater to leak into the river.
Residents are advised to avoid the water for the next 24 hours.
Officials say the treatment process was not affected in the incident and they are still treating all incoming flows.
They are working to repair the damaged tank.
We’ll post more updates as information becomes available.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found