Several people wanted for questioning in connection with ECSU campus shooting
Elizabeth City, N.C. – Elizabeth City State University Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying several people wanted for questioning in a shooting that occurred Saturday night on campus.
If you recognize the people in the photos, call University Police at (252) 335-3555
The campus was put on lock-down Saturday after a 23-year-old student, Jake Laumoli, was shot near Butler Hall, a dormitory.
Laumoli was treated and released from Albemarle Hospital.
At the time of the shooting, Elizabeth City Police were already on campus assisting with security for a concert taking place at Robert L. Vaughn Center.
Police believe the shooting was in retaliation to a fight that occurred earlier that evening at Butler Hall.
The suspects fled the scene after shooting Laumoli.
Officers on foot patrol responded immediately after hearing the gunshot, and University and City Police secured the scene.
All visitors were required to leave the scene after being cleared by police.
The concert taking place at the time of the shooting was not interrupted. People leaving the concert were routed off campus, away from the crime scene.
All other events scheduled for that night were cancelled and the lock-down was lifted around 11:00 p.m.
University counselors will be available for students.
ECSU was also on lock-down last Thursday night because of gunshots on campus. No was hurt.
University Police Chief Samuel Beamon tells NewsChannel 3 they will be increasing security around campus and making some changes in light of what happened.
Those changes include:
- students, faculty and staff must carry school IDs with them at all times
- police will be checking IDs after 6 p.m. as people drive through the main entrance; anyone who is not a student must have a valid reason for being on campus
- they are placing additional tower lights around the campus
- they are installing cameras at dorms and the main entrance
- officers will be doing additional walk-throughs in dorms
- for the rest of the semester, the university will be limiting events on campus to students, faculty and staff only
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- One dead, eight hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains