Update: Man found in bathroom of burning Newport News apartment has died
Update: The man who was found in the bathroom of a burning Newport News apartment this morning has now died. He has been identified as Robert Coen.
Newport News, Va. – A man has died after he was found in the bathroom after a Newport News apartment fire, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
He has been identified as 56-year-old Robert M. Coen.
It happened on April 10, 2013. Firefighters responded to the scene of an apartment fire in Sonoma Woods, shortly after 9:00 a.m. That’s in the 1500 block of Monterry Place in the Denbigh section of Newport News.
Crews arrived to find smoke coming from the apartment. They conducted an interior fire attack and search and rescue operations. Coen was found upstairs inside a bathroom, and was quickly transported to Mary Immaculate Hospital with life-threatening injuries, where he was pronounced deceased at 9:54 a.m.
His exact cause of death has not been determined pending an autopsy.
Investigators determined the cause of the fire to be careless smoking in one of the bedrooms.
The apartment where the fire originated suffered heat, smoke and fire damage and has been condemned.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 as we follow this story.
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom