Volunteer sports coaches honored in Suffolk
These volunteers were honored for their work done during recent seasons.
Coaches were honored with a banquet, recognizing their volunteerism for the Suffolk Parks and Recreation athletics programs and commemorating the hard work and time each coach put in during the 2013 youth seasons.
Volunteer coaches were recognized with a coach award plaque.
The selection of the 2013 C. Faye Tillery Coach of the Year Awards went to Eve Lewis for cheerleading; Robert Friel for soccer; and LaToya Taylor for basketball.
At the event, special guest Demetrius Allen gave an inspirational speech to explain what a volunteer coach can provide to a young person by giving empowerment, life lessons, and the motivation to achieve their dreams.
Suffolk Parks and Recreation recognizes all volunteer coaches for their dedication – they say without all of their help, the leagues would not be possible.
To volunteer as a coach at Suffolk Parks and Recreation, please contact the Athletics Division at (757) 514-7250.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea