Crooks attempt to trick elderly in fake Virginia Lottery scheme
Many people dream about hitting it big in the lottery, but now a few scammers are using this information to trick the elderly into giving them their hard-earned money by saying they’re with the Virginia Lottery.
The Virginia Lottery and the AARP are taking action to warn the public about these scammers who have wiped out victims’ entire retirement savings in the past.
If you get a call from someone saying you’ve won a large prize and they tell you they’re from the Virginia Lottery or Mega Millions, it could be a scam. The scammers could try to get you to send them money for so-called taxes and fees. They may also ask for personal information.
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's