Crooks attempt to trick elderly in fake Virginia Lottery scheme
Many people dream about hitting it big in the lottery, but now a few scammers are using this information to trick the elderly into giving them their hard-earned money by saying they’re with the Virginia Lottery.
The Virginia Lottery and the AARP are taking action to warn the public about these scammers who have wiped out victims’ entire retirement savings in the past.
If you get a call from someone saying you’ve won a large prize and they tell you they’re from the Virginia Lottery or Mega Millions, it could be a scam. The scammers could try to get you to send them money for so-called taxes and fees. They may also ask for personal information.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'