Man found guilty in death of girlfriend’s child
Virginia Beach, Va. – A Circuit Court has deliberated and found 31-year-old Alvin D. Gatewood guilty of second degree murder, child abuse, and neglect in the death of his girlfriend’s 19-month-old daughter, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
In November of 2011, the 19-month-old died from blunt force trauma to his abdomen and head after a series of beatings.
The charges carry a maximum sentence of 50 years in prison.
The toddler’s mother, 22-year-old Shanique Jones, faces the same charges – as well as child-endangerment – and is due for trial in May.
- 339 gallons of moonshine, 18 weapons seized from Danville ranch
- Home invasion, then a break-in at Chesapeake home
- Two charged after children found in padlocked camper in deplorable conditions
- Facebook comments may have led to at least one of the Eastern Shore arsons
- Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods