Cutting torch sparks shipyard fire in Norfolk
Norfolk, Va. – On Monday, March 4, 2013, Norfolk Fire Rescue units were dispatched to a commercial fire at Lyon’s Shipyard in the 1900 block of Claiborne Avenue.
The call came in at 12:10 p.m. Units were on scene within four minutes of receiving the call, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
The first unit on scene reported smoke showing from a partially demolished building. The fire extended to the exterior part of the adjacent building.
Crews say the fire was located on the exterior of the structure that was being torn down.
Fire crews used several hand lines to extinguish the fire and the fire was reported under control at 12:25 p.m.
There were no injuries reported in the fire.
Personnel working on demolishing the structure were using a cutting torch during the demolition. The origin and cause of the fire has been determined to be the result of the workers using the cutting torch, which accidentally ignited materials from the building during its deomolition.
Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates as they are available.