Beach man to serve 15 years for shooting two at birthday party
Juan Haywood Medley, a 36-year-old Beach man, was sentenced to 43 years for a double shooting that occurred at a birthday party in 2011.
He pleaded guilty on October 2012. He was charged with Aggravated Malicious Wounding, Malicious Wounding, two counts of Use of a Firearm, and Possession of a Firearm by a Felon.
Officials say on December 30, 2011, the victims were attending a birthday party in the Pecan Gardens neighborhood in Virginia Beach.
They say Medley walked into the home, spoke to a few people before pulling out a gun and shooting two victims.
Police found him hiding on the roof of a home nearby along with a pistol which contained his DNA according to police.
They say evidence proved the bullets fired at the party came from the gun found on the roof.
A woman was shot in the arm and a man was shot in the arm and abdomen. Both people survived.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations