Beach man to serve 15 years for shooting two at birthday party
Juan Haywood Medley, a 36-year-old Beach man, was sentenced to 43 years for a double shooting that occurred at a birthday party in 2011.
He pleaded guilty on October 2012. He was charged with Aggravated Malicious Wounding, Malicious Wounding, two counts of Use of a Firearm, and Possession of a Firearm by a Felon.
Officials say on December 30, 2011, the victims were attending a birthday party in the Pecan Gardens neighborhood in Virginia Beach.
They say Medley walked into the home, spoke to a few people before pulling out a gun and shooting two victims.
Police found him hiding on the roof of a home nearby along with a pistol which contained his DNA according to police.
They say evidence proved the bullets fired at the party came from the gun found on the roof.
A woman was shot in the arm and a man was shot in the arm and abdomen. Both people survived.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship