Fire claims the life of a man inside his Newport News home early this morning.
The fire broke out at the corner of 73rd street and Madison Avenue.
You can see the home is all boarded up, and this is where fire officials say a man and his dog died as a result of the fire.
Flames consumed this home in the early morning hours, leaving it burned and heavily damaged.
Fire officials tell NewsChannel 3 they got the call at 3:24, and when the first responders got here five minutes later, they realized the home was fully engulfed.
Firefighters pulled a man out of the burning home, and rushed him to the hospital. Later in the morning, we learned the man died. We've also learned his dog died in the fire.
People who knew him didn't want to talk on camera, but say there was also a woman living here. Where she was at the time of the fire is not known tonight.
Fire officials say there were no smoke detectors found inside the home. The man's name has not been released, and the cause is still being determined by the Newport News fire marshall's office.