Raccoon with rabies attacks family dog in Hampton
Hampton, Va.–Officials say a raccoon attacked a family dog that was running off a leash in a wooded area of Sandy Bottom Nature Park at 1255 Big Bethel Road.
They say the raccoon was picked up in the park Wednesday afternoon and submitted to the state laboratory in Richmond where the animal tested positive for rabies.
Hampton Animal Control and the Parks and Rec. Department confirmed the positive test.
If you’ve been bitten or scratched by an animal, please wash around the wound and contact your physician or the Health Department for more advice.
If you need to report a sickly animal, please call 757-727-6111.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'