Raccoon with rabies attacks family dog in Hampton
Hampton, Va.–Officials say a raccoon attacked a family dog that was running off a leash in a wooded area of Sandy Bottom Nature Park at 1255 Big Bethel Road.
They say the raccoon was picked up in the park Wednesday afternoon and submitted to the state laboratory in Richmond where the animal tested positive for rabies.
Hampton Animal Control and the Parks and Rec. Department confirmed the positive test.
If you’ve been bitten or scratched by an animal, please wash around the wound and contact your physician or the Health Department for more advice.
If you need to report a sickly animal, please call 757-727-6111.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen