Raccoon with rabies attacks family dog in Hampton
Hampton, Va.–Officials say a raccoon attacked a family dog that was running off a leash in a wooded area of Sandy Bottom Nature Park at 1255 Big Bethel Road.
They say the raccoon was picked up in the park Wednesday afternoon and submitted to the state laboratory in Richmond where the animal tested positive for rabies.
Hampton Animal Control and the Parks and Rec. Department confirmed the positive test.
If you’ve been bitten or scratched by an animal, please wash around the wound and contact your physician or the Health Department for more advice.
If you need to report a sickly animal, please call 757-727-6111.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Victim's family angry after killer gets unsupervised leave