Dare County Elm. placed on lockdown after possible burglary reported at nearby business
According to deputies with the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, Dare County Elementary School was placed on lockdown Thursday after a possible burglary was reported at the Bargain Box nearby.
Deputies were dispatched to the scene in the 200 block of Dare County Road at around 6:45 p.m.
They arrived within minutes and a deputy heard what he believed to be a suspect leaving from the back of the business through the woods.
Dare County Elementary was hosting events at the time and was placed on lockdown.
When authorities searched the business, they found one of the suspects inside. He was taken into custody.
They conducted a search of the woods but did not find anything. The school was then released from lockdown.
Deputies say charges are pending on the suspect in custody.
This incident and the identification of the second suspect are now under investigation.
If you have any information about the incident, call the CrimeLine at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Home invasion, then a break-in at Chesapeake home
- Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods
- Facebook comments may have led to at least one of the Eastern Shore arsons
- Hampton man who died after being placed in emergency custody identified
- 339 gallons of moonshine, 18 weapons seized from Danville ranch