Bird treats recalled due to possible salmonella contamination
Carlisle, PA – GIANT Food Stores, LLC and MARTIN’S Food Markets, have removed several different varieties of bird treats from store shelves, due to possible salmonella contamination.
Kaytee Products announced the recall after reports of possible salmonella contamination inside the parsley flake ingredients of the treats.
The following products are included in this recall:
• Kaytee Parakeet Honey Treat Value Pack 7 o.z., UPC 7185955027, with best before codes of 12/4/2013 – 8/2/2014
• Kaytee Parakeet Honey Stick 3.5 o.z., UPC 7185900431, with best before codes of 12/6/2013 – 5/29/2014
GIANT/MARTIN’S has received no reports of pet or human illnesses to date, but the product could be potentially harmful to birds who ingest the product or to humans from handling contaminated pet products.
Pet owners should thoroughly wash their hands after having contact with these products and clean any surfaces that were exposed.
Customers who have purchased the product should discard any unused portions or bring their purchase receipt to GIANT/MARTIN’S for a full refund.
Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly, and persons with HIV infection or
The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within eight to 72 hours. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days. Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Kaytee customer service at 1-800-529-8331. In addition customers may call GIANT/MARTIN’S Customer Service at 1-888-814-4268 for more information. Customers can also visit the
GIANT/MARTIN’S websites at http://www.giantfoodstores.com or http://www.martinsfoods.com.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Two dead in homicide-suicide shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'