Update: Gas line repairs cause congestion on Jefferson Avenue
Newport News, Va. - Darragh Copley is live in Newport News with details on gas line repair work – crews began the repairs Wednesday evening around 6 p.m. and worked through the night.
Crews are still working to make repairs to the gas line under the roadway located at the intersection of Jefferson Avenue and Middle Ground Boulevard, in Newport News.
Officials say the work could last until 5 p.m. on Thursday evening.
Northbound traffic on Jefferson Avenue in that area is restricted to one lane.
Motorists traveling north on Jefferson Avenue should seek an alternate route, such as Warwick Boulevard, Canon Boulevard, or I-64.
Currently, traffic is backed up to the area of J Clyde Morris Boulevard.
Virginia Natural Gas has advised police officers at the scene that there is no safety hazard.
Questions pertaining to the gas leak should be addressed to Virginia Natural Gas.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates, as they are released.
- Home invasion, then a break-in at Chesapeake home
- Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods
- Hampton man who died after being placed in emergency custody identified
- Facebook comments may have led to at least one of the Eastern Shore arsons
- 339 gallons of moonshine, 18 weapons seized from Danville ranch