Bill to help fund proposed Beach sports arena heads to Senate floor
We’ve learned new details about plans to bring a sports arena to Virginia Beach. A bill to help the funding of the proposed arena is headed to the Senate floor.
It was approved by a committee today.
Beach delegate Ron Villanueva wants a sports authority to issue bonds to raise money for the proposed arena.
Now the city scrapped the idea of an arena last month when they couldn’t get a sports team to commit to coming to the resort city.
Mayor Will Sessoms said he wouldn’t be asking the state for funding for an arena without a team commitment.
The mayor said he’d be willing to pursue the idea in the future.
The House has already approved the bill which would use income from the arena and a sales tax revenue increase to pay back the debt.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen