USS Gravely deploys
The USS Gravely has set sail on its maiden voyage.
The guided missile destroyer and its crew are headed to the Mediterranean.
The USS Gravely is named after Vice Admiral Samuel Gravely, Jr.
He was the first African American in the Navy to command a warship, achieve officer rank, and to command a Navy fleet.
This deployment comes days after President Obama halted Friday’s deployment of the USS Harry S. Truman to the Persian Gulf because of budget cuts.
The USS Barry deployed on Thursday to the Mediterranean.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen