USS Gravely deploys
The USS Gravely has set sail on its maiden voyage.
The guided missile destroyer and its crew are headed to the Mediterranean.
The USS Gravely is named after Vice Admiral Samuel Gravely, Jr.
He was the first African American in the Navy to command a warship, achieve officer rank, and to command a Navy fleet.
This deployment comes days after President Obama halted Friday’s deployment of the USS Harry S. Truman to the Persian Gulf because of budget cuts.
The USS Barry deployed on Thursday to the Mediterranean.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea