Holiday Helpers: Join us in making the holidays bright for local kids!

Suffolk house fire ruled accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Suffolk house fire ruled accidental, officials say.

Suffolk house fire ruled accidental, officials say.

Suffolk house fire ruled accidental, officials say.

Suffolk house fire ruled accidental, officials say.

Suffolk, Va. – A house fire has been ruled accidental in Suffolk, officials tell NewsChannel 3.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews responded to a house fire Thursday evening in the 200 block of N. 4th Street in the downtown area.

The call came in to dispatch at 7:43 p.m., and units arrived on scene at 7:46 p.m.

Crews arrived to find heavy fire showing from the rear of the two-story home.

The fire was contained to three downstairs rooms, officials say.

One resident was treated on the scene and transported to Sentara Obici Hospital with minor burns to his right leg. He was the only occupant of the home, and will be assisted by the Hampton Roads Chapter of the American Red Cross.

The home did have working smoke detectors.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental.

Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates as they are available.