Update: NC12 reopened
Update: NCDOT has reopened NC12 for traffic in the area of Mirlo Beach. There is a small amount of water still on the road in places; drivers are advised to use extreme caution.
Officials tell NewsChannel 3 NC 12 is now closed due to overwash Friday morning. The Dare County Sheriff’s Office has received reports of approximately two feet of water on the roadway in the Mirlo area.
The emergency ferry at Rodanthe is currently shut down; and ferry service to Ocracoke Island also remains suspended.
Officials report sand and overwash just south of the Oregon Inlet Bridge and just north of New Inlet Bridge. NCDOT crews have responded.
Watch NewsChannel 3 and WGNT News Powered by NewsChannel 3 now for updates throughout the day.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery