Newport News police investigate after man dies in shooting
Newport News, Va. – Police are now investigating after a man was shot and killed in Newport News over the weekend.
According to Newport News police, at 12:29 a.m. Saturday, January 26, 2013, the Hampton Police Division was notified of a man being treated for gunshot wounds at Sentara CarePlex.
The victim’s injuries were considered life threatening and the victim was then transferred to Riverside Regional Medical Center.
Originally, it was thought that the victim had been shot in Hampton. At around 6:45 a.m. on Saturday, January 26, the Hampton investigation determined the shooting had actually occurred in Newport News.
Police say the shooting happened in the 5900 block of Potomac Avenue in Newport News.
The victim died Tuesday evening, January 29, 2013, at the hospital.
An examination of the victim will be conducted by the Medical Examiner in an effort to determine the cause and manner of death.
The investigation remains ongoing as detectives attempt to determine exactly what happened.
At this time, the case is classified as a death investigation until the manner of death can be determined.
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Virginia Beach teen killed in six-car crash on I-64 in Hampton
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million