How rare is a January tornado?
A line of severe storms has been tracking across the U.S. and has triggered several January tornadoes.
The idea of a winter tornado may sound impossible, but it may not be as rare as you think.
Here is a look at the break down of tornadoes by month from 1950 to 2011 for both Virginia and North Carolina. In Virginia, the lowest total is in December and the highest in April. In North Carolina the lowest total is also December, but the highest is in May. January is the 2nd lowest (tied) month for both VA and NC with 13 in VA and 24 in NC.
- Meteorologist Myles Henderson
- Newport News mom charged with child neglect after 1-year-old son found in car
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Update: VB Navy SEAL arrested for selling military weapons, ammunition released on bond