How rare is a January tornado?
A line of severe storms has been tracking across the U.S. and has triggered several January tornadoes.
The idea of a winter tornado may sound impossible, but it may not be as rare as you think.
Here is a look at the break down of tornadoes by month from 1950 to 2011 for both Virginia and North Carolina. In Virginia, the lowest total is in December and the highest in April. In North Carolina the lowest total is also December, but the highest is in May. January is the 2nd lowest (tied) month for both VA and NC with 13 in VA and 24 in NC.
- Meteorologist Myles Henderson
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- Mom forces bullying daughter to don thrift store threads
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Oklahoma tornado rated an EF5 by NWS; 24 killed, more bodies expected
- Virginia Beach man charged with wife's murder