How rare is a January tornado?
A line of severe storms has been tracking across the U.S. and has triggered several January tornadoes.
The idea of a winter tornado may sound impossible, but it may not be as rare as you think.
Here is a look at the break down of tornadoes by month from 1950 to 2011 for both Virginia and North Carolina. In Virginia, the lowest total is in December and the highest in April. In North Carolina the lowest total is also December, but the highest is in May. January is the 2nd lowest (tied) month for both VA and NC with 13 in VA and 24 in NC.
- Meteorologist Myles Henderson
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom