How rare is a January tornado?
A line of severe storms has been tracking across the U.S. and has triggered several January tornadoes.
The idea of a winter tornado may sound impossible, but it may not be as rare as you think.
Here is a look at the break down of tornadoes by month from 1950 to 2011 for both Virginia and North Carolina. In Virginia, the lowest total is in December and the highest in April. In North Carolina the lowest total is also December, but the highest is in May. January is the 2nd lowest (tied) month for both VA and NC with 13 in VA and 24 in NC.
- Meteorologist Myles Henderson
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Police identify two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains