Crooks use automated phone scam to con people out of tax refunds
Con artists aren’t wasting any time trying to get your tax refund.
Many of us haven’t even filed taxes yet, but scam artists are already using an automated phone scam to get your refund!
The Virginia Department of Taxation says the scam is aimed at the new tax refund debit card.
They say scam artists are telling people that their Way-2-Go Prepaid Master Card is locked for security reasons.
Then the caller tries to get you to give up your personal information.
If you get this kind of call, hang up!
If they leave a voicemail, delete it!
The department says they’ll never make these kinds of calls.
So, if you’re a victim of this, give them a call at (804) 367-8031.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea