Crooks use automated phone scam to con people out of tax refunds
Con artists aren’t wasting any time trying to get your tax refund.
Many of us haven’t even filed taxes yet, but scam artists are already using an automated phone scam to get your refund!
The Virginia Department of Taxation says the scam is aimed at the new tax refund debit card.
They say scam artists are telling people that their Way-2-Go Prepaid Master Card is locked for security reasons.
Then the caller tries to get you to give up your personal information.
If you get this kind of call, hang up!
If they leave a voicemail, delete it!
The department says they’ll never make these kinds of calls.
So, if you’re a victim of this, give them a call at (804) 367-8031.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend