Anonymous Newport News caller helps police catch suspected burglars
Newport News, Va.–Newport News Police had a helping hand in catching three suspected burglars Tuesday afternoon.
Police arrested 32- year-old Benjamin Harris of Newport News, 25-year-old James Lee of Smithfield, and 20-year old James Batchelor also from Newport News.
Around 12:20 p.m., police were called out to a home in the 300 block of Marlboro Road, after a neighbor called 911.
The caller, who remains anonymous, told the dispatcher they saw two men force their way inside and rush out with a white safe. The caller told dispatch the men then drove off in a brown getaway truck.
Thanks to the caller’s information, detectives in unmarked cars were able to find the suspects and follow them. Then, marked police units eventually pulled over the truck and arrested the trio.
NewsChannel 3 spoke with the burglary victim, who says this was a targeted crime. They told us they know two of the suspects and are grateful a neighbor took action to report them to police.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket