Anonymous Newport News caller helps police catch suspected burglars
Newport News, Va.–Newport News Police had a helping hand in catching three suspected burglars Tuesday afternoon.
Police arrested 32- year-old Benjamin Harris of Newport News, 25-year-old James Lee of Smithfield, and 20-year old James Batchelor also from Newport News.
Around 12:20 p.m., police were called out to a home in the 300 block of Marlboro Road, after a neighbor called 911.
The caller, who remains anonymous, told the dispatcher they saw two men force their way inside and rush out with a white safe. The caller told dispatch the men then drove off in a brown getaway truck.
Thanks to the caller’s information, detectives in unmarked cars were able to find the suspects and follow them. Then, marked police units eventually pulled over the truck and arrested the trio.
NewsChannel 3 spoke with the burglary victim, who says this was a targeted crime. They told us they know two of the suspects and are grateful a neighbor took action to report them to police.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean