Victims fight back against accused armed robber in Newport News
Newport News, Va.— Police say two victims took action when a man tried to rob them at gunpoint Sunday night.
Police say at around 8:10 p.m., there was a report of someone with a gun in the 700 block of Shadewell Court.
When units arrived, they found that two men had been approached by a man who said something about money. They say there was some sort of language barrier.
Police say the man had a gun and demanded money and allegedly hit the victims in the head with the gun.
Police say the victims actually fought back and were able to detain the suspect. The victims asked another family member to call police.
While the victims had the suspect detained, police say a second man appeared. Police say this person seemed to be with the suspect.
One of the victims kicked and shouted at the second man and ran him off.
Police say the suspect said he was having trouble breathing and was transported to the hospital to be checked out.
Issac Hawkins, 20, of the first block of Colony Road in Newport News, was arrested and charged with two counts of robbery and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million