17-year-old dies from injuries in Smithfield shooting
Isle of Wight, Va. – According to deputies, a 17-year-old has died as a result of his injuries after an unexplained shooting inside a home at 5448 Old Stage Highway in Smithfield.
Isle of Wight County officials have identified the victim as 17-year-old Deandre Jamar Thomas. Officials say he was assigned as a student at Smithfield High School, but attended the alternative school in Windsor.
Thomas passed away at 9:59 p.m., Monday, January 28, 2013, at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
The cause of death was a gunshot wound. A firearm was recovered at the scene. The case is still being investigated as to whether or not the shooting was an accident.
According to deputies, there was no sign of struggle or forced entry into the home. No suspects are in custody. Deputies are questioning several people who may have been in the area at the time.
- FBI agent kills alleged friend of Boston bombers in Orlando
- Woman and roommate accused of trying to cause miscarriage
- Gay Florida teenager faces charges over her underage girlfriend
- Suffolk mother sentenced after mooning bus full of kids
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars