JEB Little Creek-Fort Story to preserve dunes with recycled Christmas trees
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA – Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story will recycle more than 300 donated Christmas trees to preserve sand dunes on the base, January 15 and January 16.
Officials say this project is important in helping to preserve the dunes, which further prevent erosion to inland areas and training beaches which are critical to base support of resident commands.
This annual event has been held on base for six years and is considered a great success, according to officials. There has been a steady increase in the amount of trees donated as well as volunteers to support the event.
“The dunes and beaches are also an important asset for recreation, water quality management, and wildlife habitat. It helps us meet our mission,” said Sharon Waligora, director, Environmental Division, JEBLCFS.
“It’s great to see to see the interest and support for the program grow each year.”
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Victim's family angry after killer gets unsupervised leave