JEB Little Creek-Fort Story to preserve dunes with recycled Christmas trees
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA – Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story will recycle more than 300 donated Christmas trees to preserve sand dunes on the base, January 15 and January 16.
Officials say this project is important in helping to preserve the dunes, which further prevent erosion to inland areas and training beaches which are critical to base support of resident commands.
This annual event has been held on base for six years and is considered a great success, according to officials. There has been a steady increase in the amount of trees donated as well as volunteers to support the event.
“The dunes and beaches are also an important asset for recreation, water quality management, and wildlife habitat. It helps us meet our mission,” said Sharon Waligora, director, Environmental Division, JEBLCFS.
“It’s great to see to see the interest and support for the program grow each year.”
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News