1 wounded in California school shooting; student in custody
Investigators recovered a shotgun they believe was used in the incident at Taft High School in Taft, said Ray Pruitt of the Kern County Sheriff’s Office.
Pruitt didn’t know whether there was any relationship or connection between the shooter and the victim, he told CNN.
The victim was airlifted to a hospital in Bakersfield, Pruitt said.
The shooting occurred in the science building, but Pruitt said he did not know if it took place in a classroom or the hallway.
Authorities were still in the process of searching and securing the school.
“There are still some students on campus,” Pruitt said late Thursday morning. “We’re still searching from building to building because we want to make sure we don’t have suspects outstanding.”
U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy expressed sympathies to the Taft community, which is in his district.
“I am deeply saddened and troubled by news of the shooting,” the Republican lawmaker said.
- Hampton Roads veterans still waiting up to 30 months for disability claims
- You're eating more calories than you think
- Dolphins surf new submarine's bow wave (video)
- Beach stabbing victim: 'The knife was just in my back, like a ninja' (Video)
- College student from Yorktown wins $1 million lottery prize