Commanding officer of USS Montpelier relieved of command over collision with USS San Jacinto
The USS San Jacinto and the USS Montpelier
Norfolk, Va. – The commanding officer of the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Montpelier has been relieved of command. The move follows an investigation of the submarine’s collision with the Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS San Jacinto off the coast of Florida Oct. 13.
Capt. Blake Converse, Commander, Submarine Squadron Six, relieved Cmdr. Thomas Winter, commanding officer of the Montpellier of his duties on Friday due to loss of confidence in Winter’s ability to command.
The Navy’s investigation revealed that the principal cause of the collision was human error, poor teamwork by the Montpelier watch team, and the commanding officer’s failure to follow established procedures for submarines operating at periscope depth.
Additionally, the investigation revealed contributing factors threaded among the various command and control headquarters that provide training and operational oversight within Fleet Forces Command.
Winter has been reassigned to administrative duties at Commander, Submarine Force Atlantic in Norfolk, Va. Cmdr. Stephen Mongold, who previously served as the executive assistant for Commander, Submarine
Forces, will assume all duties as commanding officer of USS Montpelier.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified