Two killed in New Year’s Day shootings in Elizabeth City
Elizabeth City, N.C. – Two people have been killed in shootings in Elizabeth City on New Year’s Day.
Police say the first victim was found around 2:23 am in the middle of Shepard Street near the intersection of McMorrine Street.
The man had been shot several times in the torso and lower extremities. He was transported to Albemarle Hospital then transferred to Norfolk Sentara by Nightingale, where he was pronounced dead at 4:50 a.m.
The man’s identity is being withheld until family members can be notified.
As police were investigating the first shooting, a second man’s body was discovered behind a home in the 500 block of Shepard Street. That man had died from gunshot wounds and his identity is also being withheld until family members can be notified.
Elizabeth City police say they have a person of interest in custody in the cases and urge anyone with information about the shootings to contact the Elizabeth City Police Department at 335-4321 or the Elizabeth City Crime Line at 335-5555. Information that leads to an arrest in these cases can remain anonymous and will qualify the caller for a cash reward up to $2000.00.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen