James River Bridge work this weekend
SUFFOLK – VDOT crews will install the last set of panels for the James River Bridge Grid Deck Replacement Project this weekend.
Single-lane, weekend closures, for both north— and southbound traffic will begin on Friday, Dec. 14, at 9 p.m. and will continue until Monday, Dec. 17, at 5 a.m. During this closure, the bi-directional, single-lane traffic plan will be in place.
This weekend, crews will install the last 15 panels of bridge span grid deck needed to complete the project. During the weekend work, north—and southbound traffic will be able to use the bridge. All work is weather dependent.
Additionally, on Monday, Dec. 17, crews will perform four, brief bridge lifts to confirm the functionality of the counterweights of the bridge lift mechanism. These lifts will last up to 15 minutes and will occur between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Motorists are reminded to use extreme caution when using the crossover and need to pay close attention to the lane markings. Motorists should anticipate delays in both directions and are advised to avoid the Route 17 area near the bridge during weekend work. The Interstate 664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) can be used as an alternate route.
Motorists are encouraged to call 511 or the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016, visit www.511virginia.org, or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680 AM for current traffic and travel information.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found
- Grandma charged after leaving 6 young grandchildren alone in motel