Update: Officer shot in Newport News during traffic stop
Update: The officer has now been treated and released according to Newport News police.
Newport News, Va.–According to police, a Newport News police officer has been shot during a traffic stop on 35th Street and Madison. Police say a suspect was also shot.
Police don’t know whether the officer was by himself or had others with him.
We’re told he is in the Organized Crime Division.
Police say he could have been riding alone or with others.
They are not saying whether it was a routine traffic stop or if the suspect was the target of a more elaborate investigation.
Police say both were transported with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly