Update: Officer shot in Newport News during traffic stop
Update: The officer has now been treated and released according to Newport News police.
Newport News, Va.–According to police, a Newport News police officer has been shot during a traffic stop on 35th Street and Madison. Police say a suspect was also shot.
Police don’t know whether the officer was by himself or had others with him.
We’re told he is in the Organized Crime Division.
Police say he could have been riding alone or with others.
They are not saying whether it was a routine traffic stop or if the suspect was the target of a more elaborate investigation.
Police say both were transported with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found
- Grandma charged after leaving 6 young grandchildren alone in motel