Report: First text message sent 20 years ago
The text message may be older than you think.
According to a report from WJLA.com, Monday, December 3, 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the first text message being sent to a mobile phone.
On Dec. 3, 1992, British engineer Neil Papworth sent the first ever “Short Messaging Service” or SMS text message from his friend’s Orbitel 901 mobile phone.
The text message read “Merry Christmas” according to reports.
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Man accused of stealing from dying friend now a fugitive
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- Police investigating after man claiming workers' comp treated day before for sports injury
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk