Report: First text message sent 20 years ago
The text message may be older than you think.
According to a report from WJLA.com, Monday, December 3, 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the first text message being sent to a mobile phone.
On Dec. 3, 1992, British engineer Neil Papworth sent the first ever “Short Messaging Service” or SMS text message from his friend’s Orbitel 901 mobile phone.
The text message read “Merry Christmas” according to reports.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales