Five cats perish in burning Virginia Beach home
Virginia Beach, Va. – Five cats have died in a house fire in Virginia Beach early Tuesday morning, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
Battalion Chief James Ramsey with the Virginia Beach Fire Department says the call came in at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. Crews responded to the 200 block of Stancil Street, and the fire was contained by 1:58 a.m. The home is located in the Princess Anne Plaza area.
According to Battalion Chief Ramsey, crews arrived to find heavy smoke throughout the home, and two rooms were severely damaged.
The fire has been ruled as accidental, due to “unattended cooking”. Officials say the occupants of the home were transported to a local hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
Crews say a total of 13 cats were inside the structure; five of them died in the fire. No working smoke detector was in the home.
Firefighters did not suffer injuries, officials say.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates, and watch NewsChannel 3 coming up at Noon.
- FBI agent kills alleged friend of Boston bombers in Orlando
- Woman and roommate accused of trying to cause miscarriage
- Gay Florida teenager faces charges over her underage girlfriend
- Suffolk mother sentenced after mooning bus full of kids
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars