Newport News father charged with abusing 2-month-old daughter
Newport News, Va. – A Newport News father has been charged with abusing his 2-month-old daughter.
21-year-old Akhenaton Zakariyyaa has been charged with two counts of aggravated malicious wounding and two counts of felony child abuse.
Police say they were called to Naval Medical Center Portsmouth on Friday by emergency room personnel who reported the infant suffered from signs of abuse, include numbers bone fractures throughout her body.
Zakariyyaa is currently being held in the Portsmouth City Jail and will eventually be transferred to the Newport News City Jail.
The infant remains in the pediatric intensive care unit.
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Inside the Moore tornado: What it looked like from a storm shelter (Video)
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- 10 amazing photos of the Moore, Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma tornado rated an EF-5 by NWS