Chef John Mannino of Mannino’s Italian Bistro in Virginia Beach joins Kristen Crowley on the set of WGNT to demonstrate how to brine a turkey. Plus, how to prepare appetizers and sides that are fresh and delicious!
Pan-Seared Scallops – Yield 4 Servings
U-10 Dry Pack Scallops
1 T. White Truffle Oil
2 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Chopped
1 Cup Roma Tomatoes, Fresh, Concasse
2 T. EVOO
1 Medium-Large Zucchini, Seeded and Sliced
¼ Cup Fresh Basil, Chiffonade
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 T. Soybean Oil
• Heat sauté pan to high and add soybean oil. Pat scallops dry with paper towel and lightly dust with salt & pepper. Gently sear both sides of scallops and reserve.
• For Zucchini – On medium heat in sauté pan add 1 tablespoon EVOO and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic. Sauté until light brown add zucchini and 1 tablespoon tomato concasse, 1 pinch basil, salt & pepper to taste.
• For Pesto – Mix remaining tomato concasse, basil, EVOO, truffle oil, and garlic with salt & pepper to finish.
• Plate Up – Finish scallops in oven at 50o degrees – till desired doneness. Place on bed of zucchini, top with pesto and serve.
Basic Turkey Brine
1 Medium Onion – rough chop
10 Garlic Cloves
3 Bay Leaves
2 T. Whole Black Pepper Corns
1 T. Dry Thyme
1 ½ Lbs. Salt
12 Oz. Sugar
2 Gallons Warm Water
1 Gallon Ice Water
• Mix all ingredients except ice water together. When salt is completely incorporated add ice water and refrigerate. Brine turkey under refrigeration for approximately 2 days
Brown Sugar Roasted Acorn Squash
• 3 T. Brown Sugar
• 1 T. Kosher Salt
• 1 T. Cajun Spice/Blackening Season
• ¼ t. Cinnamon
Unsalted Butter – 1 pat/squash half
Whole Acorn Squash
1 C. Water
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash directly in half, deseed. Generously coat inside of squash with spice rub in baking sheet pan. Place squash skin side down. Put one pat of butter in each squash half. Place in oven. Pour water directly into pan (prevents burning). Bake 45-90 minutes depending on size – until fork tender.