Beckham gives US soccer the boot
(CNN) — Los Angeles Galaxy star David Beckham will be leaving the team after its MLS Cup game December 1, team officials announced Monday.
The famed British midfielder joined the Galaxy in 2007, raising the profile of Major League Soccer in the United States and helped lead the team to the league title in 2011. Monday’s announcement comes eight months after he signed a new two-year contract with the team, turning his back on a number of offers from leading European clubs.
The statement gave no indication where Beckham was headed, but in a statement released by the team, he said he “wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career.”
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom