Beckham gives US soccer the boot
(CNN) — Los Angeles Galaxy star David Beckham will be leaving the team after its MLS Cup game December 1, team officials announced Monday.
The famed British midfielder joined the Galaxy in 2007, raising the profile of Major League Soccer in the United States and helped lead the team to the league title in 2011. Monday’s announcement comes eight months after he signed a new two-year contract with the team, turning his back on a number of offers from leading European clubs.
The statement gave no indication where Beckham was headed, but in a statement released by the team, he said he “wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career.”
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Inside the Moore tornado: What it looked like from a storm shelter (Video)
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- 10 amazing photos of the Moore, Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma tornado rated an EF-5 by NWS