Several petitions created to secede from the United States
We’ve learned more information about several petitions being made for states to secede from the United States of America.
Now one has been made for Virginia.
People in 22 states, including Arkansas have launched petitions to withdraw from the United States and form a new government.
On an online government site called “We The People,” the creator cites the Declaration of Independence that “whenever the government derives from the powers of the people, it’s the right of the people to alter or abolish it and institute a new government.”
Seventeen of the states voted for Mitt Romney for president.
A political science professor says it’s hard to tell if it’s strictly Obama’s policies or his race that led to this bold petition.
Breaking away from the government is nothing new for Arkansas.
It was one of 11 states that broke away to form the confederacy at the beginning of the civil war.
A number of elections and issues have brought division since then, but nothing this drastic.
There are petitions in Virginia and North Carolina.
More than 25, 000 people have to sign the petition for it to be considered.
So far, that’s only Texas and Louisiana.
There are also petitions on the website to deport or strip the citizenship of anyone who signs the petitions.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'