Organization celebrates Veterans Day in Virginia Beach
A Veterans Day celebration was held Sunday in Virginia Beach.
Veterans, active-duty military, and families were invited to enjoy some food and games.
It was put on by Vets House, an organization that serves homeless veterans in Hampton Roads.
They run a twelve month program for vets, which includes transition housing, food, transportation and help finding a job.
Money to operate Vets House is raised through fundraisers, occasional grants and donations like one they received today from the U.S. Military Vets Motorcycle Club.
“Veterans should help other veterans, and that’s the main thing I want to stress to all the veterans out there. If you see one of your compadres down on their luck, give him or her a helping hand. You know we can’t do this by ourselves,” said Willard “Smitty” Smith, Eexcutive Director of Vets House.
According to Vets House, there are more than 2,500 homeless veterans in Hampton Roads.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Man struck and killed by truck in Newport News; driver arrested