Newport News police detective charged with DUI in James City County
Kevin B. Nichol
Newport News, Va. – A Newport News police detective was arrested Saturday night in James City County on DUI charges.
Police say Detective Kevin B Nichol was involved in a two-vehicle crash at 11:48 pm on Long Hill Rd. near Rt. 199.
The 28-year-old Nichol was driving a 2012 Jeep when he rear-ended a 1995 Ford Explorer that was slowing down.
The 46-year-old driver of the Explorer was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.
James City County police say Nichol was uncooperative with officers at the scene and was charged with DUI, refusal of a blood/breath test and following too closely.
He was released on bond Sunday afternoon.
Newport News police say Nichol has been placed on administrative leave without pay pending an internal investigation.
Detective Nichol was hired by the department in 2008 and is assigned to the Special Victims Unit.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million