Newport News police detective charged with DUI in James City County
Kevin B. Nichol
Newport News, Va. – A Newport News police detective was arrested Saturday night in James City County on DUI charges.
Police say Detective Kevin B Nichol was involved in a two-vehicle crash at 11:48 pm on Long Hill Rd. near Rt. 199.
The 28-year-old Nichol was driving a 2012 Jeep when he rear-ended a 1995 Ford Explorer that was slowing down.
The 46-year-old driver of the Explorer was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.
James City County police say Nichol was uncooperative with officers at the scene and was charged with DUI, refusal of a blood/breath test and following too closely.
He was released on bond Sunday afternoon.
Newport News police say Nichol has been placed on administrative leave without pay pending an internal investigation.
Detective Nichol was hired by the department in 2008 and is assigned to the Special Victims Unit.
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- VB Navy SEAL arrested for selling military weapons, ammunition
- Dominion Blvd. emergency closure in place