Franklin man wanted in Thursday night murder
Franklin Police have issued a warrant for Sol “Dukey” Burke’s arrest after they say he shot and killed Eric “E.T.” Dewayne Smith at Smith’s mother’s home after 8 p.m. Thursday.
“I don’t wish that on no one to lose a child,” said neighbor Shirley Smith. “I’m not used to things like that happening here in Franklin.”
According to Franklin Lt. Timothy Whitt, Burke showed up at Smith’s mother’s home last night. They say Burke knocked on the door, and when Smith answered, Burke shot Smith. Smith later died at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Now Pearl Street residents are on edge.
“I’m saying to myself, ‘Is that gonna happen to [my grandson]?” said neighbor Shirley Smith. “Is somebody gonna shoot him and I’m gonna have to go find him somewhere?”
Franklin Police consider Burke armed and dangerous. They say he is about 6’4″ and roughly 230 pounds. Authorities say he has a tattoo of his nickname “Dukey” on his right arm.
The suspect may be in a 2004 red Dodge Durango with Virginia tag XDL-9247.
Police are asking anyone with information to call the Franklin Police Department at 757-562-8575, Detective Corporal J. Butts at 757-562-2849 or Franklin Crime Solvers at 757-562-8599. Information that leads to an arrest can earn the caller a cash reward while remaining anonymous.
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Man accused of stealing from dying friend now a fugitive
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- Police investigating after man claiming workers' comp treated day before for sports injury
- Officials discuss plans to repair closed Bonner Bridge