Estimated damage is $35,000 in Newport News house fire
On Friday morning at 11:07 a.m., Newport News firefighters responded to a house fire in the Denbigh section of Newport News.
According to fire department officials, crews responded to the 300 block of Circuit Lane – and the fire was deemed under control at 11:30 a.m.
The fire started in the kitchen. Investigators determined the most probable cause is improperly discarded smoking material.
The Red Cross was called to assist two residents.
Preliminary damage estimate is in excess of $35,000, officials say.
Watch NewsChannel 3 First at Four for updates.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found