Worker at Hampton church nursery saves baby from choking
Before our surprise presentation, we first popped in on a small meeting at Hampton Roads Baptist Church to let some members know what was up.
I told them we were there to surprise one of their members who works in the church nursery.
I then encouraged those members to follow me and we proceeded to the nursery to present Joy Taylor with a NewsChannel 3 People Taking Action Award!
She was stunned to see us and the cameras and she fought back tears as I read an email from a mom who shared with me that her son recently was given some candy, by someone who meant no harm, but started choking on it.
The email explained how Joy sprung into action.
Joy tells me, ”I’ve been trained to do the Heimlich I’ve worked with young kids for years now and I’ve had CPR, first aid and I never had to use it. This is the first time.”
Little Seth Pruitt is fine now thanks to Joy who did the Heimlich and swatted him on the back to get him to spit up the candy, which is why we presented Joy with a NewsChannel People Taking Action Award.
Our community partner Southern Bank also is giving Joy a $100 Visa gift card.
The attention had Joy fighting back tears. The whole time Seth was a bundle of energy, showing he’s doing just fine and the choking episode was a distant memory.
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- VB Navy SEAL arrested for selling military weapons, ammunition
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Grandy EMT allegedly hid camera in bunk room, Radio Shack tanning booth