Police: 10-year-old Colorado girl missing for week is dead
Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk told reporters that a body found earlier this week “has been positively identified” as that of young Jessica Ridgeway.
“The family has been notified,” Birk said. “We can’t begin to comprehend the grief that they are going through.”
Jessica was last seen by her mother as she left for school. Authorities then issued a statewide Amber Alert for the girl.
With Friday’s news, law enforcement are now shifting their focus from a search for Jessica to a manhunt for the person, they say, who abducted and killed her.
Birk acknowledged that authorities “recognize that there is a predator at large in our community.”
“We are doing everything within our power to apprehend that individual,” he said.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery