Event in Chesapeake honors fallen Marine
An event in Chesapeake honored a fallen Marine, and will benefit troops overseas.
A car show was held Sunday at the Hickory Ruritan Club for the Lance Corporal Cody S. Childers Memorial Fund.
The 19-year-old was killed in Afghanistan in August of 2010.
Money raised at the show will support the fund’s mission of sending care packages to Marines fighting in Afghanistan.
Cody’s parents say it’s a mission they’ll gladly carry on for their son.
“We miss him everyday, miss him greatly everyday, but he’s not here to do it, so we’re going to make sure it gets done, this was something that he wanted and he gave up enough. This is easy compared to what he’s done.”
“We owe it to Cody to be doing this, and I will do this until I die, I’m going to tell everybody about Cody Childers,” said Wendy Childers, Cody’s mother.
If you want more information or would like to donate, click here for the Cody S. Childers Memorial Fund.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen