Here is a statement from VDOT on the HRBT closings:
SUFFOLK– If you plan to travel I-64 eastbound to Norfolk, Virginia and beyond, the I-64 east Hampton-Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT) will be closed during the weekend nights Oct. 19-22 for paving operations.
Motorists are strongly urged to avoid the area near I-64 east HRBT. I-64 eastbound traffic approaching the HRBT will be detoured to the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT).
While traffic analysis shows the MMMBT can handle the additional HRBT traffic, motorists should expect up to a half-mile delay beginning 9 p.m. until the work zone is cleared the following morning.
The HRBT eastbound tunnel toward Norfolk and Virginia Beach will close three nights the weekend of Oct. 19, 2012. Closure times are:
- Friday, Oct. 19, beginning at 9 p.m. until Saturday, Oct. 20, at 9 a.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 20, beginning at 9 p.m. until Sunday, Oct. 21, at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 21, beginning at 9 p.m. until Monday, Oct. 22, at 4 a.m.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is closing the eastbound tube to complete a repaving project inside the tunnel.
During the closures, crews will mill and place new asphalt overlay in the left lane within the eastbound tube of the HRBT. In addition, various traffic safety items will be replaced including pavement markings.
This work will conclude the project that was started on the weekend of Friday, Sept. 14, 2012. Westbound traffic will not be impacted and all westbound lanes will be open during construction.
The signed detours for I-64 HRBT east will be as follows:
- From I-64 east approaching I-664 south (Hampton Coliseum), motorists must stay on I-664 south through the MMMBT. Follow I-664 south to I-264 east towards the Downtown Tunnel. Follow I-264 east through the tunnel to the end of the detour at I-64 east and I-264 east (Barry Robinson Interchange).
- For motorist staying on I-64 east towards the HRBT, they must exit at Mallory Street then head west on I-64 towards Williamsburg. Follow I-664 south towards the MMMBT to I-264 east towards the Downtown Tunnel. Follow I-264 east through the tunnel to the end of the detour at I-64 east and I-264 east (Barry Robinson Interchange).
The Route 17 James River Bridge grid deck replacement project will suspend operations during this time and all lanes of the bridge will be open.
Motorists are encouraged to call 511 or the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016, visit www.511virginia.org, or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680 AM for current traffic and travel information.
For additional project information please visit: www.HRBTpaving.org.