Two Marines to face court martial over desecration of Taliban bodies
Staff Sgt. Joseph W. Chamblin and Staff Sgt. Edward W. Deptola were charged for the incident, which occurred in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in late July 2011, a news release from the Marine Corp stated. The incident did not come to light publicly until this past January when a 39-second video showing the incident was posted on several websites, including YouTube.
The two Marines, who are based at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were also charged with dereliction of duty, failure to supervise junior Marines and failure to report the misconduct of those Marines.
The statement didn’t say when the trial is scheduled to take place.
Three other Marines have been disciplined for their role in the incident. The three non-commissioned officers pleaded guilty in August to a variety of violations of Marine Corps regulations, a statement said at the time.
- 339 gallons of moonshine, 18 weapons seized from Danville ranch
- Two charged after children found in padlocked camper in deplorable conditions
- Facebook comments may have led to at least one of the Eastern Shore arsons
- Receipt profanity angers dad who took young son to sports bar
- Viral video: What’s behind the door?