Neighbor concerned about 86-year-old man robbed at gunpoint
While most people his age are enjoying the “Price is Right” or sitting down to lunch, an 86-year-old Newport News man was robbed at gunpoint inside his home off Jefferson Avenue.
“I was scared for my neighbor,” said his neighbor of more than 30 years, Liz George. “I was really worried about it.”
Police say the man’s front door was open. On the last day of summer, a nice breeze was going through his screen door.
The robber then walked in and pointed a hand gun at the 86-year-old, demanding money.
“He still couldn’t believe it happened, I don’t reckon,” George said.
George came home just after it happened. Once police were done talking with the man, she went by to make sure he was okay.
“My feeling was that too bad he didn’t have his gun on him,” George said. “Because he’s usually on top of everything.”
After taking the man’s wallet, the robber ran off down Tyler Avenue.
“There’s a lot of people up and down the road all the time,” George said. “We’re right by the railroad and they can escape jumping over the fence– over the railroad and they’re gone.”
If you know anything that could help police with this case, call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- FBI agent kills alleged friend of Boston bombers in Orlando
- Woman and roommate accused of trying to cause miscarriage
- Gay Florida teenager faces charges over her underage girlfriend
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Suffolk mother sentenced after mooning bus full of kids