Caregiver sentenced for abusing incapacitated adult
Antiniece Michelle Middleton, 31, of the 1400 block of Lois Lane in Norfolk was sentenced Tuesday for abusing an incapacitated adult according to officials.
She was sentenced to five years all suspended except six months to serve.
Officials say Middleton was found guilty after a trial on July 2, 2012.
They say in November of 2011, Middleton worked as a live-in caregiver for a 27-year-old severely disabled autistic woman.
According to officials, on November 26, 2011, she bathed the woman in scalding bath water, causing the woman to sustain second-degree burns.
They say Middleton took the woman to the hospital and told doctors that the burns happened when the victim sat in cleaning chemicals on the toilet at McDonald`s.
The woman was in the hospital for four days.
Middleton later admitted to police that the burns were caused by hot bath water and that she was not paying attention to the victim.
Middleton has a prior conviction for failure to return rental property officials say.
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Inside the Moore tornado: What it looked like from a storm shelter (Video)
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- 10 amazing photos of the Moore, Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma tornado rated an EF-5 by NWS