Woman dies after being hit by van on I-264
Police say at around 7:03 p.m. on Monday, a Virginia State Police Trooper initiated a traffic stop on a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu for suspicion of driving under the influence.
The vehicle pulled over onto the right shoulder on I-264 westbound, east of Military Highway.
During the traffic stop, the driver, identified as 48-year-old James Duesberry of Virginia Beach, was taken into custody for DUI.
The trooper then approached 49-year-old Kathleen Jean White of Virginia Beach, the passenger of the vehicle, to determine if she was intoxicated. Police say White told them she had not been drinking, but was taking medication for her blood pressure.
Police say White displayed erratic behavior.
According to police, the woman ran away from the trooper without warning, and into oncoming traffic.
She was hit by a van, and died at the scene.
Police are still investigating this incident.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for more information.
- Community helps family who lost father while treating two kids with cancer
- Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods
- Home invasion, then a break-in at Chesapeake home
- Three from Hampton Roads indicted in 7-Eleven immigration raids
- Woman sentenced to death set to walk free, go shopping with victim's grandson