Newport News family loses house in fire
The Newport News Fire Department responded to the scene of the structure fire at the 00 block of Chanco Drive.
Firefighters arrived on the scene just before 9 a.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the house. It took crews 30 minutes to get the fire under control.
The Newport News Assistant Fire Chief Robert Craft tells us the home suffered heat, smoke and fire damage on all three levels of the house.
One person home at the time was able to get out safely. A firefighter received a minor injury while fighting the fire and was treated on scene. The family dog however, was lost in the fire.
Firefighters say the cause of the fire appears to have been an electrical short.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's